Monday, October 23, 2017

Similarities and differences between St. Norbert College and universities in my countrySimilarities and differences between St. Norbert College and universities in my country

             I wonder if everybody orientate yourself to student life in St. Norbert College. So far as I live and study in St. Norbert College, this college is the best place not only for study but also for enjoy college life. Like St. Norbert College, there are many good universities in South Korea as well. I actually don’t know much about universities in my country because I haven’t been to a university in South Korea. However, I have heard many things from my friend about her uni and she is a student in Sungkyunkwan University which is one of the famous universities in my country. Base on my friend’s words and my experience in St. Norbert College, I’m going to tell you about similarities and differences between the university in my country and St. Norbert College.

            I believe that the university in South Korea and St. Norbert College have a lot of in common, but I picked three main similarities to tell you. First of all, the university in my country as well as St. Norbert College has many, various classes for students. Students can choose which classes they want to take, as long as students take the major requirement. Also, students are welcomed to see academic advisors for an advice about the classes. Secondly, I assume that joining the club is one of the important parts of the college life because it does invigorate students. Both school have various kinds of clubs and most of the students look forward to getting involved in the club. Not only St. Norbert College but also the university in South Korea encourage students to get involved in clubs. Finally, those who have used the library to study for exam in the exam period in St. Norbert College, you might know that library is literally full of students in the exam period. And, so do the universities in my country. I personally like to study in the library because I like the atmosphere of studying hard together and it kinds of stimulate me to study harder. My friend told me that if she doesn’t get up early and go to library in the morning, she would not be able to study in the library because every spot would be already taken. I experienced same situation here as well and I thought that no matter in which country you attend the university, students study hard at least in the exam period.


            As US and South Korea is different country and they have different education system, there are some differences between St. Norbert College and universities in my country. In universities in my country, professors are not able to care about every single student. They even don’t know students’ name or face, unless the student is outstanding, or the student goes to professor to ask questions actively. St. Norbert College, on the other hand, professor knows, at least, name or face of every student in her/his class. I think the reason of this difference is not that the professors in my country are indifferent to their students, but that the number of students is very different. My friend’s university has so many students that the famous class accepts even more than 100 students. St. Norbert College has a few students compare to the university in my country so there are a few students in class and that’s why professor can take care of them much easier.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Irene, for sharing this with us. Very interesting points of comparison/contrast for us to consider. All the best as you adjust to your new life here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your information helps me know about your country's universities. It reminds me about my country's universities that have some activities and educational systems like yours. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Irene. Similar thing happens in Venezuela. There are very few small schools, and most of them have hundreds of students in one class. I much prefer the size of St. Norbert College as I get to know my teachers a little better.

    ReplyDelete