Sunday, October 15, 2017

My Mid-Term semester.

Fall semester is the longest one I have had since I started to study in the U.S. Until this day, I am on the way. I have five classes in this semester at St. Norbert College. Most of my time, I have been spending on my most challenging task – the writing class. Writing improvement has been set as my goal for this semester. In retrospect, I have reached some progress and I am still facing some challenges that I need to overcome.
At the beginning of this semester, I determined my necessarily focused task is to improve my writing skill. While mentioning to research paper, I have thought about an abstract and high-level academic writing. I was nervous about that because a lot of disciplines are different from these in my country. A range of questions about strategies to reach a good paper that appeared in my mind made me overwhelmed with. However, following writing strategies in books for this class and thanks to the teacher’s instruction, I have learned methods how to paraphrase a citation, take notes for reading for main ideas, response to writing, summarize and comment for it and how to look for academic information for my research paper. I have been familiar with it step by step. So far, I am more confident of my ability to write. Writing success is not unreachable for me now.
            Proficiency for academic writing is basically acquired in college. My most challenging task that I am facing is academic terms and structures. How can I express academically my knowledge about a field? How can I understand some authors’ expressions with complex structures? Obviously, I need to strengthen my academic vocabularies and dive deeply myself into these struggles until it becomes unambiguous for me. I hope that my writing skill will be improved much more at the end of this semester and I can have more experience for academic writing and deal with my graphophobia – fear of writing.
How is your semester so far?
                                                   

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sr. Tuyen, for sharing these thoughts and insights. All the best to you as you work your way through the writing process. It'll get easier and easier in the future (with more practice). Keep working hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for your sharing. I see that your effort will lead you to success. Keep going and you will attain your goal. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete