Sunday, October 22, 2017

IMPROVING MY ENGLISH OUTSIDE THE CLASSES

A long flight took me to the United States for finding knowledge. Being an international student and studying with the second language, I have a lot of difficulties in my study. The most detriment is improving my English in order to adjust to the new environment and understand what teachers said. From the first month, the second-month until now, my English is improved a lot. It is because I have implemented some useful ways in studying English.

First of all, I chose to surround myself with English. I start by changing the language on my cell phone, laptop... I read English books and newspapers. I know that reading is a great way to increase vocabulary and improve grammar in English. At first, I read some children’s books where the language seems easier than academic books. Then I read newspapers and wrote down new words and grammar structures. Reading newspaper is not only help me improve my English but also know more about the local and national goings-on. Besides, I listened to some lectures on the Internet and took notes in order to improve my listening skill.

          Living in a country with English is totally spoken, having a conversation regularly in English is mandatory. I am lucky because I live with American Sisters. Therefore, I have the best environment to practice English with native speakers. I usually ask them about some academic vocabularies and proverbs in English; How to use a suitable word for each situation; how to spell and pronounce a difficult word... This way helps me a lot in improving English. Besides, to improve writing skill is, I started with studying and remembering at least five vocabularies every day; practicing to write my diary in English. The reason is the more vocabulary I have, the more my writing will be better and the more I use the words in the writings the better I can remember them.


          To summary, each person has different ways to strengthen his or her own English. For me, reading newspapers, taking with native speakers, and trying to write something in English every day is some best ways to enhance English skills. Being an international student, we need to find the most useful ways for myself in order to improve my English every day.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sr. Luyen, for your ideas. Practice, practice, and practice is really important. Keep up the great work -- all the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also changed the language of all of my electronic devices into English. I like the idea of studying at least five vocabulary per day. I've always bitten off more than I can chew so I usually couldn't make it for the goal I set and just gave it up. I think it must be really helpful to set a small goal first. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete