Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Narrative Essay


Image result for Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage            Time really went as fast as an arrow. It seems like I entered college with a bit of tension and anticipation just a few days ago, and it is already time to end the first semester. I think I’ve experienced a loads of challenges through this semester. Anais Nin once said, “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.” I learned that through facing this challenges and picking up my courage, I can make it even in overwhelming situation. By getting counseling in St. Norbert College, I also realised that there were a loads of courage which enable me to enter St. Norbert College.

            When I was in high school, my grade was bottom because I was not a sincere student. Nevertheless, I had a vague thought that it would be easy to get good grade as soon as I study. But I didn’t study because I was scared. What if I got terrible grade even though I study hard? I was gripped with this fear and did nothing. After I graduate school, I was literally, nothing. I had to do something. I had to face my fear. I decided to gather up my courage and studied hard to go forward. As I studied harder and harder, I decided to become a surgeon and I decided to study abroad to achieve my goal.

Studying abroad was a big deal and needed a huge courage, because everything would change. When I first came to St. Norbert College, I was busy adjusting to everything. Language, food, people, street, building, store, and etc. After the semester began, I struggled with being in class and doing homework. I was so afraid of speaking in English that I barely speak in class. I couldn’t even stay calmly in the classroom. However, through talking to professors, I had courage to manage myself. Their words were great encouragement to me. I didn’t give up but try hard to keep up with the class. I did my best to overcome my anxiety of talking in English, though I still am afraid of it. I could accomplish this semester because of a huge support of the college.

Image result for St. Norbert CollegeIn my country, for students, people used to say, “You can do whatever you want to do if you go to college. So be patient and study.” As they said, when I came to college, I expect that everything will be going well. As I experienced and learned a lot of things during this semester, however, I felt that college itself is never a place to promise the happiness for the future. It is me to build my future, and courage is a huge factor to build colourful and rich future. St. Norbert College helped me a lot to keep heart to face challenging tasks, and I’m sure that St. Norbert College would make me try my best not to lose my courage. 

1 comment: