Saturday, December 2, 2017

My best way to acquire new academic vocabulary

           Reaching vocabulary in another language is one of the most challenging aspects for foreigners. How can we remember new words and apply it accurately in writing and daily usage, especially in academic knowledge? Each learner has their own methods to study them. I also have my own methods to acquire new vocabulary in English, especially academic ones.
            First, almost academic English vocabularies are borrowed from Latin or Greek. Studying these roots,   

suffixes, and affixes helps me to guess and remember these new words quickly. For example, when I study the root “communis” in Latin, I can easily study and remember the meanings of their related words in English like common, communion, communist, commonality, and community.
          Second, continuous reading and searching information about a specific academic field during a period of time are effective ways to acquire new academic vocabulary. Studying new words with its concepts in particular academic knowledge helps me remember new words and understand its connotations in expression at the same time.
            In addition to choosing methods to learn new vocabulary, I also take advantage of my own easy-to-remember time to study. Waking early in the morning is the best time for me to study new words while there is no worrying and distraction in my mind. Therefore, I can focus to study these words. Another advantage of studying in the morning is that I can apply the vocabularies in any conversation during the day as possible as I can. The words that I learn will be relearned in the following days in my schedule.

            Acquiring new academic words is a long-term task that each foreign student should implement to reach academic knowledge in English. For me, it requires lots of patience and skills. How about your methods to acquire new vocabulary?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sr. Tuyen, for your insight. I like your personal schedule to incorporate the new vocabulary into your life. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of studying roots of the word! I've never thought about studying roots of the word. I will definitely try this. It seems really helpful because as you said, many English vocabulary are from Latin or Greek. Thank you for sharing great idea, St. Tuyen.

    ReplyDelete