Sunday, September 25, 2016

Strategies to avoid plagiarism

Last week, I compared the approaches to plagiarism in Korea and America. So I will let you know how to avoid plagiarism at this time.  When writing a paper or making a work, you must keep it in mind ‘to distinguish my own ideas from not mine.’ You won’t plagiarize if you treat that point as important. Here are three specific ways to prevent the plagiarism: Making a plan, utilizing lots of sources, and doing paraphrasing.

First of all, noting a plan is really helpful not to infringe the copyright. To be specific, if you define the topic, write an outline, and decide the support evidence, it makes you to do easier and to see which resources you already found and you have to find. Moreover, it would prevent you from forgetting that writing down the data with the source.

Image result for plagiarism
The second way is to use various sources. Nowadays, unlike the past, the Internet is so developed that it contains massive information. As a result, many people rely only on the Internet. However, it is so dangerous because it is not sure that all of the information on the Internet is reliable. Thus you must judge the information critically, recognizing the original source of that information you gained. I recommend you to use books as a supporting evidence, which is clearly stated the name of an author.

Finally, paraphrasing is the most crucial and difficult one. I agree with the opinion that a direct quotation is the best way because it is convenience and precise. Nevertheless, it would make the argument ambiguous if there are a lot of quotations. That is why you have to paraphrase appropriately. Additionally, when you are paraphrasing, it should be apparent. We already learned about how to paraphrase well in Sourcework, but I will restate in here: saying exactly the original source, do not distorting the meaning, and changing the sentence to one’s own words. (And these are also one of the examples of paraphrasing.)


There are many ways above those. The significant thing is that you should specify the source when you are supposed to cite something. What do you know the good way to avoid plagiarism?

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Juyeon, for your insights and strategies for avoiding plagiarism! These are all really good ways to create written work that utilizes other written sources appropriately. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Juyeon, I really liked your list of strategies and tips to avoid plagiarism! Since I am from Sweden I have noticed a lot of differences when it comes to this topic. I will definitely think about your tips and try to use these strategies in my future work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Jeyeon! Thank you for your article about how to avoid plagiarism because this is one of the most difficult things when I write an essay. I used to start writing essays without making plans, and because of that, I might have done plagiarism when I was in Japan. Thus, I will start making plan before I start writing the essay so as not to confuse after writing an essay. Looking up books for evidences is also good way. Thanks to the development of technology, we can look for the specific points of books and article on the internet without reading whole pages. I will try those strategies you taught me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Juyeon
    Thank you for sharing your insights and strategies for avoiding plagiarism. Plagiarism is very important subject, especially in the universities and the US system. And the strategies in which you mentioned are actually good ways to avoid plagiarism, especially the last one, which is formulating the ideas.

    ReplyDelete