Sunday, September 4, 2016

Differences between St.Norbert College and Universities in Peru


Hello Everyone, my name is Renzo I am from Peru. When I came to the College here in the United States I noticed very big differences in universities among this two countries.
The first and most impressive for me was that the students live in campus, In mostly all Latin American countries students only go to the university and college to take their classes and return home after this. In the U.S all students are required to live in campus until they have 21 or become senior.
Second is in Peru you need to study five years in the college and more depending in your major, you also need to take five classes each semester. The classes you take in Peru are given for the Universities and you cannot pick what classes you want to pick during the semesters.  
The third is the universities in Peru don’t require to take a foreign language. Although a lot of students from Europe and America go to peruvian universities, students are not required to study abroad.
Fourth, we don’t have as many sports like SNC or stadiums only for each sport(Hockey, American Football, Baseball), in my hometown the universities don’t take to much care about sports. Here in SNC is a big party when the football team play I was really surprised how american people like football.
Finally, the resources the faculty SNC give to the students like advisors, tutors, etc.
SNC give a lot of help to their students to finish their career in 4 years and with the cost of University.
About the similarities, is the Day of the University , beginning of the year, end of the year. Where a big parties are hold in the campus with fireworks, food, live concert and games.
What do you think? How is the college in your country?
 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Renzo, for your comments, remarks, and insights. Some of you observations remind me a lot of European university system. There are always going to be advantages and disadvantages to each system. I hope you can find the positives in your experience here. All the best to you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renzo,
    I read your article interestingly. I think the curriculum of Peru universities is very tough for student. Five classes per one semester and five years! I can manage it. Korean university is similar to the USA university. We are required to take school for four years, but the number of classes is more than that of American university. I was really surprised that most of people in St. Norbert college are glad to help someone. Also, we have a lot of parties in Korea, but there are always Alcohol. So I don't like it.
    Thank you for introducing about your country, Peru!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Renzo,

    I like your essay since you give me a really clear mind or idea about how universities in Peru are different from our school. You made comparison in both countries for each perspective and give readers explicit explanation for those differences. Thank you a lot because I know more interesting things for different cultures or countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Renzo,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. Not because we are from the same country, but because there are some differences between our cities. In Lima universities require the studying of a second language. There are some universities that have a part of their admission in English. I think knowing another language helps you a lot, and that is why many more study centers are being interested in improving it in their students.

    ReplyDelete