Thursday, April 6, 2017

Expressing My Opinion in Academic Writing

Expressing My Opinion in Academic Writing

There are many academic writing strategies in our life and every country has their way in academic writing and some people take those strategies from their school which are different from all countries. However, for me there are many reasons that I believe to be the causes for my academic writing to improve, because I am from Saudi Arabia and now I am studying in St. Norbert College in United States, so I will be comparing the academic writing between both.


        




First, in Saudi Arabi I studied at Dammam Technical Higher Institute for Engineering and Petroleum (THIEP), where I received my diploma degree in oil and gas exploration technology, there was writing but not too much like in the United States especially in St. Norbert College. However, when I want to write paper in my country I can use a word like '' I '' and there no problems with my teacher and my Institute, but when I came in US I learn different things in academic writing especially the word " I " I cannot used in assignments papers.


. Finally, there are a lot of styles in academic writing in our world but we do not know it after we try it. 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welldone Abdulquddus! However, I have a question. In Saudi Arabia, are you permitted to use 'I' in all formal writings?

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Abdulquddus. How common is it to express one's opinion in academic writing in the Arabic academic context? And what are some other ways to express your opinion without using "I"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Abdulquddus. Of course, each language has a different way of writing and the way in our country is different from the way here in the United States of here they prefer to talk in your writings about the third party and avoid talking about yourself as a person. Also, here you should support your idea with examples to clarification your idea, unlike our writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Abdulquddus, I find it very interesting reading about where you guys all come from and how it is different than here. I think your major that you receive in Saudi Arabia is also really cool. Most people in the US are Biology Majors or Business, but there is almost no one going for Geography. I wish you the best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete