Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Through The Fall Semester

Since I came to St. Norbert College, 3 months has already passed and there is only a week leftto finish the first semester, which will be the hardest week for final exams and papers. I have experienced a lot of things in this semester, which were both fun and hard. Speaking of the hard times I had this semester, class was the hardest time for me because of my English ability and Japanese personality.
There was one class where there usually was a discussion time during every class time in this semester. I have been in a Japanese university for two years since I came to St. Norbert College, but I have never had class that usually had discussions in class. Since this is the first semester for me in the U.S., I took a class that I did not have any friend in.
“What do you think, Tsukasa?”
“Hmmm, I have no idea…”
“So, what about this question?”
“I’m sorry, but I don't have any idea too…”
“Okay.”
From the very first class of the semester, the professor let us discuss the reading and I could not say anything because I did not expect that I would have discussion from the first class. Although it is usually said in Japan that people who are studying abroad in America have to be able to express their ideas all the time, I didn’t expect that I have to discuss all of my ideas in the class. Since there are a few times that students are asked to have discussion and ideas in Japan, it was hard for me to come up with ideas quickly.
 “Tsukasa, how’s your semester going?” One of my group members asked me a question a few minutes later, which was not related to the question, although we had to discuss questions.
“It’s pretty good, but I’m a bit nervous. How about you?” I replied, and we had some conversation during class.
She asked me questions in order to make me feel relaxed. Since my group members were completely new to me, I was being shy and was not be able to say opinions positively. However, she noticed that I was getting nervous and tried to let me in the discussion.
When I was in Japan, it was not a big deal that some students became silent while they were discussing in a group. However, as Marie Von Ebner-Eschenback said in her saying “Fear not those who argue but those who dodge,” those who do not say any opinions in a discussion can be negatively seen because people cannot understand what they are thinking without words. It was a very different cultural difference because silence is preferred to having lots of discussions in Japan, but it is the complete opposite in America.
“Tsukasa, how was the first class?” One of my group members asked me a question after finishing the class right away.
“I was so surprised at everything I had in the class…” I answered.
“Don't worry about it, you’ll get used to it soon. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me questions!” The other girl also helped to make me feel better after the class.

Thanks to the help of my group members, I was able to get used to having discussion and saying my opinions. Although I was worrying if I could positively participate in the class, I learned from Marie Von Ebner-Eschenback that adjusting to the culture is necessary without fearing, or I would not be able to learn a lot in the class. Therefore, I would like to make the most of use that I have learned this semester in the next semester and have an unforgettable experience in America.

1 comment:

  1. Being in a group is pretty challenging, I always feel pressured to work and end up getting anxious and less work is done than other group members. It is a thing that you have get used to as international students who also happen to be studying in the US. Do not be shy and say whatever you want. It is the "land of the free" after all.

    ReplyDelete