Sunday, January 29, 2017

differences between SNC and universities in Saudi Arabia

Since I came here in Saint Norbert college in 2013, people asked me couple of times what are the differences between studying in here and studying in Saudi Arabia. I could not tell them the correct answer because for me I never studied college in Saudi Arabia, because I decided to come to America since I was in junior year in high school. However, I asked one of my Saudi friend who studied in both countries. I asked him two basic questions, what are the differences in the way of teaching, and students life.

First, he told me that there is a huge different in the ways of the teachers in Saint Norbert college and the teachers in Saudi Arabia of teaching the materials. For example, here the teachers focus on how they can let the students intercept in the class and try to deliver the materials to the students in a way that the students understand it not just memorize it. On the other hand, the teachers in the universities in Saudi Arabia their ways of teaching is different, it is more formal than here. They focus more of the test, for example, they see the students based on their grades in the exams, they do not relay on how they students have been active in the class or not.

Second, students’ life in the universities in Saudi Arabia less active then here, because most of the students does not live in campus and they just go to take a class and leave the university. Also, it has less diversity than here, we do not have international students, most the students are from Saudi Arabia.

Last thing, that I can think of is we have schools only for girls and schools only for boys. We do not have schools that teaches both boys and girls together.
    











4 comments:

  1. Very interesting insights, Nahar! Thank you! I wonder what advantages and disadvantages each system would offer to students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Nahar, thanks for opening my eyes to these facts. The part that say boys and girls have separate schools got me thinking, and I do want to ask a question. Do they continue with separate schools even in advanced degrees, like PhD?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Nahar. I was surprise about teaching only for girls and only for boys. My country have some university that teaches only for girls and only for boys but it is unusual. But there is similarity between Saudi Arabia and Korea university. Our college also don't participate much in class. It seems that there is many disadvantages of it but I like it because I can learn the information in quite place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good blog Nahar, and I like it, because I have idea about your post and because I am from Saudi Arabia will share that, there are a lot of different between Here in St. Norbert College and our University in my country. I like St. Norbert College than our University because very friendly and helpful by Writing Center. Thank you Nahar for your participation

    ReplyDelete