Sunday, November 5, 2017

Being persuasive in English

Being persuasive in English

In our daily life, we talk with each other all the time. Actually when we talk to someone we prefer the people accept our opinion and agree with us that will make us feel happy. I am from China and I am study my college in US now. We always talk or  argue with each other in the study group. I am too shy to speak to others that make people do not understand what I am saying. My english is not being persuasive and nobody accept my idea. I know i should overcome it. There are some strategies that i find could helpful for people who has same situation same as me.
First, appear confidence. Looking confident is one of the most important parts of being persuasive. If you're not sure, then why should they trust you? Look people in the eye, smile, and keep your voice even and enthusiastic.
Second, know what you're talking about. Do research on the computer or in the library. Know everything that you can possibly know about what you're trying to talk them into. You're not going to be very convincing if you tell them something that they know isn't true.
Second, prepare for their arguments against you. They'll probably have some arguments against what you're trying to get them to do. Know some of the most common arguments and be ready with a good way to win them over.
Third, Stay calm. Keep calm and turn on the charm. Seriously though, if you start shouting or get all whiny, no one is going to listen to you anymore. It becomes like tuning out a small child. Keep calm and friendly in your demeanor and you'll be fine.
Of course, when you use the language that different from your mother language.  Like English for me you should prepare for your speak enough. You should search enough and accurate words
for the topic that you try to persuasive someone accept you.  Combine those methods when you speak to someone you will feel perfect!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your sharing experience. I like your second idea, for me, being able to persuade other people requires clear understanding of the field I am arguing too. It is more difficult in other language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, James, for sharing your ideas! I especially like the confidence factor as well as preparing the counterargument. Very powerful in the process of persuading others. All the best as you pursue persuasion in the future -- in writing or in speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you have when you want to express yourself and I think that is good thing to connect with other people

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks James. Back in highschool, teachers would always insist that being persuasive is one of the most important skills to have as a writer. I agree with your point of view when it comes to confidence and knowing the common arguments against your perspective, as these are key to being successfully persuasive. Good job!

    ReplyDelete